Thursday, August 30, 2012

For My Birthday: A Lesson in Geography

The mood is reflective today.  I’ve just passed a rather negative milestone in my life, and the words of comfort offered on the occasion have been quite interesting.

One dear friend wrote: “Each age and stage of life has its joys and trials, the challenge is embracing the joys and dealing with the rest. Hang in there!

My sister quipped: “You have now survived 70 glorious years!!! Congratulations!!! You have just added a new dimension to your illustrious life! Savor it!! Don't waste your life being unhappy about your age! Karl (her son, visiting her at the time) and I are having a good time and he wishes you a happy 7th decade. He says there's nothing wrong with not having died. Hear hear!”

And from my daughter: “I honestly don’t think you’ve changed a bit in the last 20 years.”  A very much appreciated lie.

 Then came this classic from my sister-in-law:

 Geography of a Woman



Between 18 and 22, a woman is like Africa. Half discovered, half wild, fertile and naturally Beautiful! 
Between 23 and 30, a woman is like Europe. Well developed and open to trade, especially for someone of real value.
 Between 31 and 35, a woman is like Spain, very hot, relaxed and convinced of her own beauty.
 Between 36 and 40, a woman is like Greece, gently aging but still a warm and desirable place to visit.
Between 41 and 50, a woman is like Great Britain, with a glorious and all-conquering past.
Between 51 and 60, a woman is like Israel, has been through war, doesn't make the same mistakes twice, takes care of business.
   Between 61 and 70, a woman is like Canada, self-preserving, but open to meeting new people.
After 70, she becomes Tibet. Wildly beautiful, with a mysterious past and the wisdom of the ages. An adventurous spirit and a thirst for spiritual knowledge.

 Geography of a Man

Between 1 and 80, a man is like Iran,
ruled by nuts.


But I shall leave you with the wise words of my father-in-law on the occassion of my much more devastating 30th birthday: "Would you really trade everything you've done, everything you've learned and experienced, to be younger again?"

I trust you wouldn't!

Hugs to all,
Tibet

No comments: