Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Are there conditions under which you simply CANNOT write?

I’m in one right now. We’re in a motel on the way home from visiting grandkids and I'm trying to catch up on my blogging. But here’s the thing: Husband has to have background noise while he’s reading and talking and computing. I can’t function at all in front of the TV. This paragraph took one show segment and six commercials to complete.

Husband is the master multi-tasker. He can read Forbes, check his email, play chess, and carry on a conversation – all while watching one of those TV shows where loud music with lyrics fights the actors’ dialog. Now, as much as I wish I could be that way, too, there's simply no getting around it. I'm a person who works best in silence, or at least in a distraction-contolled environment.

Once I did make a max effort to tap away through gunshots and sirens. Unfortunately, I was so successful at blocking out the world around me that I missed something Husband said. Oops.

So...what would take maybe 15 minutes cloistered in my computer room at home, has run through a complete episode of “Castle” and the news. Sigh.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has trouble with distraction!

No comments: