Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Good Grief. October 11 is National Take Your Teddy Bear to Work Day.


Yes, folks, another weird holiday is upon us.  

The notification came in the daily AOL news run. Of course I checked it out with Holiday Insights and sure enough. It’s a “thing.” No amount of research has turned up a creator or origin for this cuddly day.  So how the world did it get started? Have you ever heard of it before?

Well, I suppose anything can get started on the Internet. But tell me, who’s going to actually walk into work with their security blankie or Winnie-the-Pooh? C’mon! Come to think of it, though, a full-size Clifford in the passenger seat could sure as heck get you into the HOV lane. 

Okay, so back in the day I’ll admit I took some stuffed toys into United Space Alliance. It was an ongoing thing with us Trekkies. Remember the episode called “The Trouble with Tribbles?” A classic. One of my absolute favorites. Tribbles, if you don’t know, are merely balls of soft fur that make endearing noises, breed at an astounding rate, and eat the Enterprise’s food replicators and storage bins out of house and home.

Anyway, one day my daughter gave me a tribble. I took it to work and set it on the bookshelf of a fellow fan in the next cubicle. Then I made up a bunch more and brought in another each day until the multiplicity caught the notice of our department head. As a former sub commander, non-productive clutter tended to make him somewhat claustrophobic. And since he was really a good sort and a great boss, the tribbles duly disappeared.

Thus endeth my experience with Take Teddy to Work Day – like, even before it existed. 

No comments: