Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Egg & I

Anyone who follows me on Facebook knew this was coming. I love this place. I eat here every chance I get!

The Egg & I was created in 1987 in Fort Collins, Colorado. Its name comes from a 1947 movie by the same name. A movie poster, featuring Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert, hangs by the cash register. Appropriately, the movie is based on the true story of author Betty MacDonald, whose husband informs her on their wedding night that he’s purchased an abandoned chicken farm. Also (FYI and TMI for us older types, it’s the movie that spawned the Ma and Pa Kettle series.) Now back to The Egg.
Open from 6am to 2pm weekdays (2:30pm on weekends) The Egg & I offers gourmet coffee, 100% pure-squeezed orange juice and a mind-boggling variety of menu offerings.  There are no less than six choices of benedicts, seven types of “Skillets & Scrambles,” and ten ways to enjoy “Omelettes & Frittatas.” There’s also a lengthy listing under “Eggs Olé” and don’t even get me started on the pancakes and waffles.

While the menu trends to the international, healthy, and unique (whole grains and elegant veggies like asparagus, spinach, portabella mushrooms, etc.) there’s lots of that he-man stuff, too. You know: steak, sausage, ham, biscuits & gravy, bacon, potatoes, and the like. The last time I was there, one of my brunch companions mentioned the outstanding hollandaise sauces. So I forsook my Santa Fe Huevos for a Parisian Benedict and, oh, was she right!
Of course, there is an assortment of non-egg dishes, too. At lunch, you'll find creative sandwiches, entree salads and hearty, homemade soups. But – and this is very important to me - you can always have breakfast for lunch! Okay, so I’m a breakfast freak…

So far only ten lucky states have Egg & I restaurants. If you don’t live in one of them (follow the above link to check) plan a road trip soon!

No comments: